Maptober webinar series
Working with Vector Tiles
Vector tiles are a lightweight data format for storing geospatial vector data, such as points, lines, and polygons. Mapbox vector tiles optimize the delivery of large amounts of geographic data to power mapping applications in a scalable and cost effective way. In this episode, we’ll break down what tiles are and the advantages of working with vector tiles. In addition, we will help users understand how and when to tile data. Lastly, we’ll demonstrate how to generate tiles with the Mapbox Studio/MTS UI (private beta).
Creating Vector Tiles with MTS
Mapbox Tiling Service (MTS) is a powerful service for creating custom vector tilesets. With MTS users can control the visual design, data hierarchy, and performance of their tilesets. In this episode, users will learn how to use the MTS CLI to generate a tileset using a sample dataset on wildfires. The tutorial will also demonstrate how to modify recipes to customize and update the tileset, as well as how to optimize usage to reduce costs.
Data Driven Styling with Mapbox Studio
Transform your data into a compelling visualization with Mapbox Studio. Join our team as we demonstrate how to leverage Mapbox Studio to style vector tilesets generated with MTS. Learn how to use Mapbox Studio to build and design a map to your exact specifications by uploading and editing your own data, utilizing Mapbox-provided tilesets, adding custom fonts and icons, and refining the built-in core styles. We’ll end this webinar by showing you how to use your custom style to create a web map with basic interactivity.
Each Thursday from October 21 - November 4th, Mapboxers will deliver live-demonstrations that help users leverage the power of vector tiles to create beautiful, performant maps. From creating multi-layer datasets with MTS to designing a map with custom data in Mapbox Studio, explore how Mapbox tools can help you design and build maps that scale. RSVP today.
Each week, Maptober participants will have opportunities to be entered into a raffle drawing to win prizes: cash and
How to enter
- Sign up to join the challenge
- Tweet what you built (tag @Mapbox with the #maptober hashtag)
- Submit your challenge assignment
- Mail-in an entry
- The contest is open to anyone (developers, designers, statisticians, economists, researchers, data journalists, data scientists, community activists, graphic and interface designers, university students, etc.) who is interested in participating, subject to the restrictions listed below.
- The contest is open to participants who are at least 18 years old as of the date of entry.
- Subject to the Official Rules, only residents of the United States of America are eligible to win the contest. Residents of other countries may still participate but are not eligible to win the contest.
- Read the complete official rules