Structured flat file data sets delivered daily with an easy to use schema. Import Movement data into your application for any use case.
Datasets generated daily from over 700 million mobile devices and 45,000 different apps powered by Mapbox.
Understand where and when movement is happening
Analyze the impact of policy decisions on movement, optimize retail site selection, and allocate resources in the areas that matter to your business.
Enhanced with Mapbox Boundaries
Movement data is aggregated using high-fidelity Mapbox Boundaries so you can see trends in activity at the state, county, and district levels to help inform policy decision making.
Monitor economic impact
Less movement typically means less economic activity. Aggregate movement on commercial corridors to predict revenue impact, understand where and when to focus resources on a particular retail location, or measure effectiveness of new policies.
Discover the latest features in Movement Data
Frequently asked questions
What is Mapbox Movement?
Mapbox Movement is a privacy-forward dataset of device density, activity, and movement over time drawn from 700M+ users globally contributing 20B+ live location updates daily. The dataset captures significant driving and non-driving mobile device activity aggregated into geographic tiles of 100-meter resolution (approx. 1 city block) and administrative boundaries (states & counties).
What can I do with this data?
Mapbox Movement dataset provides a high-definition view of how, where, and when people move through a city or specific geography. In particular, this data allows you to:
- Understand the relative changes in mobile device activity in space and across time
- Visualize changes in device density by hour of day, across multiple months or years
- Observe significant anomaly events that occurred on specific date(s) and correlate changes in activity before and after
Use cases for these geo-spatial insights include:
- Retail expansion and site selection
- Analyzing retail performance based on footfall traffic
- Targeting out-of-home advertising in high density areas
- Building models to address city, transportation planning, and real estate needs
- Understanding the impact of anomalies (hurricane/flooding, superbowl games, accidents/closures) on people density & activity
How does this compare to other available datasets?
Mapbox Movement data features:
- Hi-resolution location accuracy sourced from on-device GPS (other datasets are aggregated from cellular network carriers with limited location accuracy and high amounts of noise).
- A massive underlying panel of millions of monthly active users in every major market across multiple travel modalities (legacy data sets are limited to relatively small sample sizes or based on fixed sensors with limited insights and no coverage outside urban areas).
- Sourced from a diverse mix of thousands of different apps (other data sets are tied to a small number of sources which causes bias in the data).
- The most comprehensive privacy-forward global data set (other data sets track advertising identifiers and personal information, which may fail to be compliant with regional and local privacy laws or violate reasonable user expectations of privacy).
How is the data structured and delivered?
This data cut is aggregated monthly and provides visibility into hour by hour activity on a typical weekday or weekend in the given month. It can be used to understand patterns of life behaviors within a city, compare relative activity levels between different areas, and analyze macro-trends across multiple months or years.
This data cut is aggregated daily and provides visibility into day-by-day trends in near real-time. It can be used to retroactively observe anomaly events that occurred on a specific date and identify changes in activity levels preceding or following the event of interest.
The Activity Index is the Mapbox proprietary density metric which reflects the level of activity in the time window and spatial regions defined above. It is a decimal value ranging from 0 to 1. A normalization process is applied to smooth out any effects of extreme outlier activity.
Data is delivered as CSV files with an organized file+folder structure naming based on geographic zoom tiles and localized time buckets. This data can be easily processed using any programming language or visualized with any geo-spatial tool.
What is the geographic coverage?
Mapbox Movement is available globally, with the richest data coverage in the United States, Canada, Western Europe, Australia, Japan. Select markets in Central America, Middle East, and Southeast Asia are also supported. Contact Mapbox for sample data and coverage metrics for your area of interest.
What is the licensing and pricing model?
Mapbox Movement is licensed by geography (global, country, state, city) on an annual basis. Contact Mapbox for sample data and pricing for your area of interest.