Welcome to the future of mapping! We're glad you're here.
This website, Mapbox.com (the "site"), is owned and operated by Mapbox, Inc. ("Mapbox", "we" or “us”). By using the site, services provided on the site, or map content we make available to you through the services (collectively, "Services"), you agree to be bound by the following Terms of Service, as updated from time to time (collectively, the "Terms"). Please read them carefully. If you don’t agree to these Terms, you may not use the Services.
In order to use most Services, you must register for a Mapbox account. When you use our application program interfaces (APIs), each request to an API must include one of your account's unique API keys.
Please carefully guard the security of your account and monitor use of your API keys. You are responsible for all use of the Services under your account, whether or not authorized, including any use of your API keys. At our discretion, we may make limited exceptions to this policy for unauthorized use of your account if you notify us of the problem promptly.
You must be 13 years or older to use the Services. By registering as a user or providing personal information on the site, you represent that you are at least 13 years old.
If you are entering into this agreement on behalf of your company or another legal entity, you represent that you have the authority to bind that entity to these Terms, in which case "you" will mean the entity you represent.
If you are a United States government user or otherwise accessing or using any Mapbox service in a U.S. government capacity, these Terms are amended as set out in our U.S. Government Terms of Service.
We will make the Mapbox Services available to you in accordance with our Service Level Agreement. Subject to these Terms, we grant you a non-exclusive, revocable license and right to:
- Use the Services to develop online services and online, desktop, or mobile applications;
- Make the Services available to end users in connection with their use of your online services and online, desktop, or mobile applications; and
- Make up 2,000 prints per year of maps from vector tiles (not satellite imagery) in flyers, posters, or other short publications.
You may only use the Services for non-commercial purposes, for commercial applications publicly accessible without charge, and for commercial mobile applications. If you subscribe to our Premium Plan, you may also use the Services in private, commercial applications for up to 250 seats. A seat is a distinct end user--i.e., an actual human being--that can access an application or web service you provide. Multiple users are not allowed to use the same seat, even if they use it at different times.
You may not use the Services in connection with any application or site to track moving physical assets (e.g., personnel or vehicles) on a map, unless you have a Premium plan. Tracking means to locate an asset based on latitude/longitude coordinates provided to your application via a sensor. If you subscribe to our Premium plan, you may track up to 1000 assets.
If you want to make use of the Services outside this description--such as in non-public applications, videos, or bulk print media--contact us about an Enterprise plan.
The "Mapping APIs" means the Maps API, Styles API, Static API, and Static Classic API. You must access and use map tiles, static map images, style files, glyphs, and sprites hosted by Mapbox (collectively "Map Assets”) only through our APIs.
You may cache Map Assets on end-user devices (e.g., laptops, smartphones, or tablets) for offline use, but each device must populate its cache using direct requests to the Mapping APIs and content from a cache may only be consumed by a single end user. On mobile devices, you may only cache up to the limits set in the Mobile SDKs, and you may not circumvent or change those limits. You may not redistribute Map Assets, including from a cache, by proxying, or by using a screenshot or other static image instead of accessing Map Assets through the Mapping APIs. You may not scrape or download Map Assets in bulk for any purpose other than offline caching on a single end user’s device.
You must provide attribution, including an "Improve this map" link on all maps as outlined in our documentation. You understand that a subscription to a Mapbox plan that offers "branding-free maps" does not eliminate your responsibility to provide attribution.
Some plans also require you to display Mapbox branding. You must comply with this requirement as outlined in our documentation.
You may only use responses from the Geocoding API ("Geocodes") in conjunction with a Mapbox map. You may not export or store Geocodes. You may not resell or re-syndicate Geocodes to other publishers or third parties (except to your end users or as an integrated part of your application). You may use latitude and longitude information from Geocodes to position results on a map, but you may not display the latitudes or longitudes directly to end users. You may only query the Geocoding API in response to human user queries and human app interactions; you may not perform bulk or automated queries.
You may not use results from the Geocoding API (a) to develop a general database of locations or addresses for any neighborhood, city, state, country, or other such geographic region, or to develop any other general purpose digital map database; (b) to develop or test another geocoding application or API; (c) in connection with navigation products preinstalled or integrated into automobiles by auto manufacturers, auto electronic component manufacturers or auto system integrators; or (d) for in-flight navigation. You may not use point of interest results from the Geocoding API (a) for lead generation, advertiser targeting or advertising analysis; (b) to create or augment user profiles or audience segments based on or derived from points of interest results; or (c) for geofencing -- i.e. to give end users real-time mobile alerts or personalized content based on the end user’s current proximity to a point of interest (giving users content in response to searches or map interactions does not constitute geofencing).
You may not use data of Norway to create general purpose printed or digital maps, which are similar to the basic national products of the Norwegian Mapping Authority.
Upon written notice to you, we may audit your use of the Geocoding API to ensure it is in compliance with this section. The terms of this section are intended for the direct benefit of our third party suppliers and may also be enforced directly by those suppliers.
For other use cases or additional rights, please contact us about an Enterprise plan.
Directions, Distance, and Map Matching APIs
Results from the Directions, Distance, and Map Matching APIs may only be used in conjunction with a Mapbox-provided map, and may not be stored.
For other use cases or additional rights, please contact us about an Enterprise plan.
Mapbox on mobile
For all mobile applications that use Mapbox Services, you must:
- Limit use of your app to users at least 13 years of age or disable information sharing for users younger than 13.
- Obtain your users' affirmative express consent before you access their location (the automatic notifications in iOS and Android suffice).
- Allow users to opt out of location data sharing using one of the methods described in our developer documentation.
- Comply with any additional local requirements related to information access or sharing.
- Not interfere with or limit the data that the Mapbox SDK sends to us, whether by modifying the SDK or by other means, except as otherwise required by the Terms.
- Not attempt to identify specific individuals, vehicles, or entities with which telemetry data that we provide to you via the developer dashboard is associated (e.g. by re-identifying data).
You may use Studio or third-party software to trace Mapbox maps and produce derivative vector datasets (i) for non-commercial purposes and (ii) for OpenStreetMap. If you are on at least a Premium Plan, you may also use Studio to trace Mapbox maps for commercial purposes, but may only trace up to 100 points, lines, or polygons per year. If you trace Mapbox Streets or Mapbox Terrain, you must comply with the licenses from our data sources.
If you use the places search function provided in the Studio dataset editor to place point features on a map, you must (1) only use such features internally, (2) not resell, sublicense or share such points with any third party, and (3) only use such points in compliance with the Geocoding API terms set forth in the above paragraphs 15 - 19.
Unlawful and other unauthorized uses
You agree to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and third party agreements in your use of the Services.
You may not use the Services in any manner that could damage or overburden the Services or interfere with any other party's use of the Services.
You may not use the Services to:
- Disseminate material that is abusive, obscene, pornographic, defamatory, harassing, grossly offensive, vulgar, threatening, or malicious;
- Aid or implementing practices violating basic human rights or civil liberties;
- Disseminate or store material that infringes the copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other intellectual property right of any person;
- Create a false identity or otherwise attempting to mislead others as to the identity or origin of any communication;
- Export, re-export, or permit downloading of any content in violation of any export or import law, regulation, or restriction of the United States and its agencies or authorities, or without all required approvals, licenses, or exemptions;
- Interfere with or attempt to gain unauthorized access to any computer network;
- Host, transmit or provide Mapbox with Protected Health Information (as defined by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act);
- Operate dangerous businesses such as emergency services or air traffic control, where the use or failure of the Services could lead to death, personal injury or significant property damage;
- Transmit viruses, trojan horses, or any other malicious code or program; or
- Engage in any other activity reasonably deemed by Mapbox to be in conflict with the spirit or intent of these Terms.
You may not modify, create derivative works from, reverse engineer, or attempt to derive any source code from the site’s software, except as expressly permitted by a written license from us.
End users and notification
You may not allow your end users or other third parties to use the Services in any way that would violate this Section ("Our services") if done by you, and you agree to take reasonable efforts to prevent such use. You agree to promptly notify Mapbox in writing if you become aware of any misappropriation or unauthorized use of the Services.
In addition to the requirements above, you agree to adhere to the policies posted on this site in conjunction with the Services, including accompanying documentation. Those policies are incorporated by reference into these Terms.
Charges and payment
Some of the Services require payment. We may charge your credit card on an ongoing basis in advance of providing Services or as needed for prepayments for your subscription fee, any applicable sales taxes, and any other charges you may incur in connection with your use of Mapbox Services. The subscription fee is billed in full on the first day of each billing period, unless and until you cancel your subscription.
Sometimes even you don't know how popular your maps are going to be. If your account exceeds the map views allowed by your plan, we may charge you overage fees at the end of your billing period. Overage rates vary by plan. You agree to pay overage fees for all usage including requests that result from unexpected traffic.
We are not responsible for any bank fees, interest charges, finance charges, over draft charges, or other fees resulting from charges billed by Mapbox. Currency exchange settlements will be based on agreements between you and the provider of your credit card.
All charges are non-refundable unless expressly stated otherwise, or otherwise provided by applicable law.
Your content is your content. You retain ownership of all content that you contribute to the Services.
Limited to the purpose of hosting your content so that we can provide the Services to you, you hereby grant Mapbox a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, transferable and sublicensable right and license to use, copy, cache, publish, display, distribute, modify, create derivative works, and store such content and to allow others to do so. This right and license enables Mapbox to host and mirror your content on its distributed platform. You warrant, represent, and agree that you have the right to grant Mapbox these rights.
On termination of your account, Mapbox will make all reasonable efforts to promptly remove from the site and cease use of your content; however, you recognize and agree that caching of or references to the content may not be immediately removed.
Our content and third party content
Other than your content, all content displayed on the site or accessible through the Services, including text, images, maps, software or source code, are the property of Mapbox and/or third parties and are protected by United States and international copyright laws. Logos and product names appearing on or in connection with the Services are proprietary to Mapbox or our licensors. You may not remove any proprietary notices or product identification labels from the Services.
You agree that we may freely exploit and make available any and all feedback, suggestions, ideas, enhancement requests, recommendations or other information you provide relating to the Services.
We're proud to have you as a customer. During the term of this agreement, you hereby grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, non-transferable license to use your trademarks, service marks, and logos for the purpose of identifying you as a Mapbox customer to promote and market our services. But if you prefer we not use your logo or name in a particular way, just let us know, and we will respect that.
Account cancellation or suspension
We don't want you to leave, but you may cancel at any time. However, we do not give pro-rated refunds for unused time if you cancel during the middle of a billing cycle.
The limited license granted by this agreement terminates automatically, without notice to you, if you breach any of these Terms. Upon termination of the limited license, you agree to immediately destroy any materials downloaded from the Services.
In addition, Mapbox may cancel or suspend your account for any reason by providing you thirty days advance notice. Upon cancellation or suspension, your right to use the Services will stop immediately. You may not have access to data that you stored on the site after we cancel or suspend your account. You are responsible for backing up data that you use with the Services. If we cancel your account in its entirety without cause, we will refund to you on a pro-rata basis the amount of your payment corresponding to the portion of your service remaining right before we cancelled your account.
Changes to services or terms
We may change the features and functions of the Services, including APIs. It is your responsibility to ensure that calls or requests you makes to the Services are compatible with then-current Mapbox APIs. We attempt to avoid changes to our APIs that are not backwards compatible, but such changes may occasionally be required. If that happens, we will use reasonable efforts to notify you prior to deploying the changes.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Mapbox and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, partners, and employees from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, arising out of:
- Your use of the Services;
- Your violation of these Terms;
- Your end users’ use of the Services in or through an application or service you provide;
- Content you or your end users submit, post to, extracts from, or transmit through the Services.
“As is," "as available" and "with all faults." YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT THE USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SITE AND ITS SOFTWARE, SERVICES, MAPS, AND OTHER CONTENT, INCLUDING ANY THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE, SERVICES, MEDIA, OR OTHER CONTENT MADE AVAILABLE IN CONJUNCTION WITH OR THROUGH THE SITE, ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS", "AS AVAILABLE", "WITH ALL FAULTS" BASIS AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
No warranties. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW, MAPBOX DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM MAPBOX OR THROUGH THE SITE, WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED HEREIN.
Website operation. MAPBOX DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES, INCLUDING ANY SOFTWARE, SERVICES, MAPS, OR CONTENT OFFERED ON OR THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY THIRD PARTY SITES REFERRED TO ON OR BY THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, OR FREE OF ERRORS, VIRUSES, OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS AND DOES NOT WARRANT THAT ANY OF THE FOREGOING WILL BE CORRECTED.
Non-Mapbox content. WHEN USING THE SERVICES YOU MAY BE EXPOSED TO USER SUBMISSIONS AND OTHER THIRD PARTY CONTENT ("NON-MAPBOX CONTENT"), AND SOME OF THIS CONTENT MAY BE INACCURATE, OFFENSIVE, INDECENT, OR OTHERWISE OBJECTIONABLE. WE DO NOT ENDORSE ANY NON-MAPBOX CONTENT. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL MAPBOX BE LIABLE FOR OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE NON-MAPBOX CONTENT, INCLUDING FOR ANY INACCURACIES, ERRORS, OR OMISSIONS IN ANY NON-MAPBOX CONTENT, ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFRINGEMENT WITH REGARD TO ANY NON-MAPBOX CONTENT, OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY NON-MAPBOX CONTENT.
Accuracy. MAPBOX DOES NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE USE OR THE RESULTS OF THE USE OF THE SERVICES OR ANY THIRD PARTY SITES REFERRED TO ON OR BY THE SITE IN TERMS OF CORRECTNESS, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE.
Driving directions. DRIVING CAN BE DANGEROUS, AND USE OF OUR DIRECTIONS API IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE INFORMATION PROVIDED BY OUR DIRECTIONS API IS NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE THE INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THE ROAD. IN THE EVENT THAT THE INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THE ROAD (FOR EXAMPLE, BY TRAFFIC LIGHTS, TRAFFIC SIGNS, OR POLICE OFFICERS) DIFFERS FROM INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE API, DO NOT RELY ON THE API. YOU AND YOUR USERS MUST OBSERVE ALL TRAFFIC LAWS WHILE USING THE SERVICE. IF YOU USE THE DIRECTIONS API IN AN APPLICATION OR SERVICE THAT YOU PROVIDE TO END USERS, YOU MUST DISCLOSE THIS POLICY TO YOUR USERS.
Harm to your computer. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU USE, ACCESS, DOWNLOAD, OR OTHERWISE OBTAIN SOFTWARE, SERVICES, MAPS, OR CONTENT THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY THIRD PARTY SITES REFERRED TO ON OR BY THE SITE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PROPERTY (INCLUDING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM) OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM SUCH DOWNLOAD OR USE.
Jurisdiction. CERTAIN JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF YOU RESIDE IN SUCH A JURISDICTION, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS, OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS. THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS OF WARRANTIES, REMEDIES, OR LIABILITY CONTAINED IN THESE TERMS APPLY TO YOU TO THE FULLEST EXTENT SUCH LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS ARE PERMITTED UNDER THE LAWS OF THE JURISDICTION IN WHICH YOU ARE LOCATED.
Limitation of liability
Limitation of liability. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, SHALL MAPBOX OR ITS AFFILIATES, CONTRACTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OR THIRD PARTY PARTNERS OR SUPPLIERS, BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES (INCLUDING LOSS OF PROFITS, DATA, OR USE OR COST OF COVER) ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS OR THAT RESULT FROM YOUR USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR THE SITE, INCLUDING SOFTWARE, SERVICES. MAPS, CONTENT, USER SUBMISSIONS, OR ANY THIRD PARTY SITES REFERRED TO ON OR BY THE SITE, EVEN IF MAPBOX OR A MAPBOX AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Limitation of damages. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF MAPBOX OR ITS AFFILIATES, CONTRACTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OR THIRD PARTY PARTNERS, LICENSORS, OR SUPPLIERS TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS THE SERVICES OR YOUR USE OF THE SITE (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), WARRANTY, OR OTHERWISE) EXCEED THE GREATER OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100 USD) OR FEES PAID OR PAYABLE TO MAPBOX IN THE TWELVE MONTHS PERIOD PRIOR TO THE DATE ON WHICH THE DAMAGE OCCURRED.
Claim period. YOU AND MAPBOX AGREE THAT ANY CAUSE OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF THESE TERMS OR RELATED TO MAPBOX MUST COMMENCE WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES. OTHERWISE, SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act compliance
If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof, and believe that any user submission or other Mapbox content infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") by providing our copyright agent with the following information in writing (see 17 U.S.C § 512(c)(3) for further detail):
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works on Mapbox are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works from Mapbox;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit Mapbox to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit Mapbox to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address;
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
The designated copyright agent to receive notifications of claimed infringement is:
You agree to keep the contact information associated with your Mapbox account current and complete.
Except as provided in these Terms, the license and right to use the Services is granted only to you and may not be transferred to anyone without the prior written consent of Mapbox. These Terms shall benefit Mapbox and its successors and assignees.
These Terms are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of California, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law. Any action arising out of or relating to these Terms must be filed in the state or federal courts for San Francisco County, California, USA, and you hereby consent and submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of these courts for the purposes of litigating any such action.
A provision of these Terms may be waived only by a written instrument executed by the party entitled to the benefit of such provision. The failure of Mapbox to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. Mapbox reserves all rights not expressly granted to you.
If any provision of these Terms is held to be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from these Terms and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions. Headings are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect.
You agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and Mapbox as a result of these Terms or your use of the Services. You further acknowledge no confidential, fiduciary, contractually implied, or other relationship is created between you and Mapbox other than pursuant to these Terms.
- August 23, 2016: Added Studio section; added restrictions related to PHI and dangerous businesses; clarified update procedure and other minor edits.
- June 13, 2016: Updated Mapping API language to apply to all mapping APIs and map-related assets; added prohibition on attempting to de-anonymizing mobile data; other edits to clarify and simplify language.
- March 8, 2016: Updated mobile and geocoding terms, add directions and map matching terms.
- December 15, 2015: Changed choice of law and venue to California.
- September 3, 2015: Added publicity section.
- August 31, 2015: Clarified temporary geocoding caching.
- July 6, 2015: Add terms for free mobile tiles.
- June 9, 2015: Comprehensive revision, including updates to improve organization, add explicit license grant for use of map content, and updates to indemnity, warranty, and limitation of liability provisions.
- February 8, 2015: Clarified content ownership: it remains fully with customer.
- January 21, 2015: "Improve this map" link now required on all maps.
- October 23, 2014: Prohibit use of Services to aid or implement practices that violate basic human rights or civil liberties.
- October 8, 2014: Non-public use is a plans-level feature now.
- October 6, 2014: Clarified caching policy to refer to Mapbox-hosted maps.
- September 17th, 2014: Added section on Geocoding API
- August 18th, 2014: Clarified commercial use around mobile and public applications.
- August 4th, 2014: Changed place of jurisdiction from Washington DC to Delaware.
- May 5th, 2014: Added section on Directions API
- April 10th, 2014: Added section on commercial tracing for satellite imagery and allowing OpenStreetMap tracing
- November 1, 2013: Clarify that per-device caching extends to all consumer devices, not only mobile devices
- March 28, 2013: Added sections describing use of DigitalGlobe imagery
- February 23, 2013: Clarified sections "Using Mapbox," "Charges & Payment," and "Account Cancellation or Suspension"
- November 2, 2012: Added language on attribution
- April 6, 2012: Added section on "Caching Mapbox Maps"
- February 21, 2012: Free usage limits are now defined on the plans page. 15-day guarantee has been replaced with the free account.
- September 26, 2011: TileStream Hosting has been renamed to Mapbox Hosting.
- September 13, 2011: Added sections pertaining to Subscriber content.
- April 26, 2011: Added sections pertaining to TileStream Hosting.