Founder and Principal, makepath
Raster analysis is central to the work done in Geo domains, but every domain (from finance to healthcare) has a Geo component. It helps to bridge the gap between domains in order to connect the dots to leverage spatial analysis tools to solve common problems across domains. Through use cases and example notebooks, this talk will showcase how to use and scale spatial analysis libraries such as Xarray-Spatial, and how users from different domains can use geospatial analysis to solve interesting problems and answer important questions.
- Vector vs Raster data
- Multidisciplinary aspects of open source GIS (users can take tools created for one discipline, spin them up for other uses and vice versa, such as tile generation for non-geo disciplines)
- Open source basics (user guides and example notebooks available for users/viewers to follow along with during the webinar)
- Building to OGC (Open Geospatial Consortium) standards
- Distributed geoprocessing for Python computing
- Overview of key open source Python libraries, such as GeoPandas
- Specific spatial analysis examples, such as how to implement slope on top of elevation with Numba
- How you can contribute to open source libraries of interest
- GitHub repo for Xarray-Spatial
- Xarray-Spatial website
- Datashader website
- Dask website
- Numba website
- makepath website
makepath is a data science company with a specialty in geospatial technology and full-stack application development. We are passionate about the open source ecosystem, and we contribute to many ongoing projects. The company was founded by Brendan Collins and Pablo Fuentes in Austin, Texas.
Brendan Collins, Founder and Principal, makepath
Brendan is an expert in data science and geospatial technology and is co-founder and Principal of makepath. With over 15 years of experience in GIS, he has worked with The Nature Conservancy, World Resources Institute, New Forests, World Wildlife Fund, NASA, and The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Brendan is an active contributor on several open source projects, he is a core developer on Datashader, Bokeh, and most recently created the Xarray-Spatial and mapshader libraries for large scale spatial analysis.
Pablo Fuentes, Founder and Principal, makepath
Pablo is an experienced product designer and technology leader and is co-founder and Principal at makepath. He was the founder of Proven, where he designed and built products that are used by millions of people to find jobs and to hire talent. With over 10 years of experience leading product design and development, he guides the vision of makepath to create beautiful and usable visualizations of large spatial datasets.