Installing on Ubuntu
This page is for installing TileMill on Ubuntu Desktop from the Mapbox provided Launchpad PPA. You can use this approach for a headless Ubuntu Server as well - see the Ubuntu Service for details.
TileMill can also run great on other Linux distributions, Solaris, and FreeBSD - basically anywhere you can run Node.js and Mapnik. But on these platforms TileMill will need to be built from source because, at this time, pre-built packages are only provided for Ubuntu. See the source build instructions for more details. We also have instructions for Mac OS X and Windows.
- Ubuntu 10.04+ (Lucid and above)
- 2 GB memory
- A modern browser (Chrome, Firefox)
- Internet connection for remote datasources
- Download the TileMill installer for Ubuntu. If the download window appears, choose Save File.
- Select install-tilemill.tar.gz in your Downloads folder. Choose Edit > Extract Here from the menu.
- Double-click on install-tilemill.sh to start the installation process. If prompted, choose Run in terminal. Enter your system password when prompted.
- Start TileMill using the Ubuntu launcher (11.10) or by choosing Applications > Graphics > TileMill from the menu (11.04).
If you’re terminal savvy, you can install TileMill with the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:developmentseed/mapbox
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tilemill libmapnik nodejs