Advanced mapping guide
Residential buildings are usually located on a
living_street and has access to a road only on one side, and optionally on the backside via a
service alleyway. A building with residential roads on multiple sides is a sign of mistaking building shadows for streets. The street grid in an an area will have repeating patterns that make it easy to guess how the roads are laid even if they are obscured by trees.
Using Fast draw plugin
- Install and use Fast draw plugin (
shift + F).
- Press down arrow to simplify way, up arrow to add more complexity and then
Qto simplify straight segments of roads.
- Shortcuts to tag each type of road classification Preferences > Customize the icons in the toolbar > Presets > highways/ features that require shortcut > highways/streets > select the road you want to add as shortcut > right click on the shortcut and add a shortcut.
Video Faster draw in JOSM
Parallel buildings can be traced using the building tools plugin (
B). Select a building and using the tool align subsequent buildings to the first one in one step.
You can use the Area extrude tool (
x), to quickly add details to the outlines by creating new nodes (double click) and then dragging the faces.
Compound buildings To combine overlapping buildings, select both building and click Join overlapping Areas (
Shift + J). For several intersecting buildings, use
I > Shift+J. Or, use the Auto Tools > Combine LA buildings.
- In Extrusion mode (
Ctrl + Cmdto redraw/reshape buildings for irregularly shaped buildings.
- In Extrusion mode (
X), add four nodes in a segment, hold the
Ctrl + Cmdkey, and drag the middle segment to create pyramidal extrusions.
- Double tap
Ato draw buildings with irregular sized extrusions. Or create several smaller buildings
- For buildings sharing the same wall, draw buildings (
B) and, select intersecting node and click Join Node to a Way (
J) or Move Node unto Way (
- To split a single building into two, select two nodes and select Split Object (
Alt + X)
- Use Terracer plugin for multiple same shaped buildings sharing the same wall (
Shift + T)
For circular features, draw the diameter, select the way, and click Tools > Create Circle (
Shift + O).
Use Resize tool (
Ctrl + Alt) to re-size shape.
Individual parking spaces
Draw a box enclosing the parking spaces and use the terracer plugin to create a grid. Replace the default
building=yes tag with
amenity=parking_space. If you created adjacent grids, you would want to use the validator to automatically merge the overlapping nodes.
Tagging driveway through a building
Relevant tagging option for building would be
Highway road under the roof tagging options
covered=yes highway=footway highway=residential highway=service
Tagging stadium tracks
Relevant tagging option for Stadium would be
- trace centerline of track as line (
- connect centerlines with surrounding foot paths or streets where possible