With the Mapbox Studio style editor, you can style a single country or region. In this example, you will be styling Australia.
Before getting started, you will need a few things:
- Mapbox account. You will need an account to log in and use the Mapbox Studio style editor. You can create an account at mapbox.com/account.
- Natural Earth data. Download the
Admin 0 - CountriesShapefile from Natural Earth.
Create a new style
Log into your Mapbox account and navigate to your Styles page. This is where all your styles are listed. A style is a set of rules for how your map will be drawn on the page – it includes references to your data, map images (icons, markers, patterns), fonts, and defines how all of your data should be styled on your map. For more about styles, see the Styles section of the Mapbox Studio Manual.
To create a new style from your Styles page, click More ways to create and select Start blank. The style editor will automatically open.
Use the style editor
Use the style editor to add the data you downloaded to the map and adjust the style of the country.
Add a tileset source
You can add Australia to the empty map canvas by uploading the Natural Earth data as a tileset:
- Click + Layer.
- Click the box that says No tileset, click to select.
- When the popover opens, click New tileset.
- Select the data you downloaded at the beginning of this guide and click Confirm.
- A popover will appear in the bottom right showing the progress of your upload.
- Once the upload has “Succeeded”, the tileset will be ready to use!
- Search for your tileset in the Source popover.
The tileset you just created includes all countries. To filter to use just Australia:
- Scroll down to the Field values section and click + Add filter.
- Choose NAME_LONG from the list of Available fields.
- Click the Empty button and type
Australiainto the search bar under Edit filter. Click Australia.
- In the original panel, click Create layer.
- You’ll see a black outline of Australia in your map canvas.
Next, click the Style tab to customize the look and feel of the layer. Change both the Color and 1px stroke fields to
When you have finished editing your map style, publish your changes by clicking Publish style in the upper right of the style editor. When you click the publish button, a window will appear showing you the difference between the version of this style that was previously published and the current version you are editing. If you’re happy with the changes, click Publish. Your style will now be available to share from a variety of tools and applications.
Congratulations! You’ve styled a single country with the help of an outside data source. Mapbox Studio provides a wide variety of ways to use your new map style. You can use this map directly on your website or in an web or mobile application. Take a look at the Publish style section of the Mapbox Studio Manual to see all the ways you can use your style!
Learn more about what you can do with the Mapbox Studio style editor in the Mapbox Studio Manual.