Your Account page contains all the information and preferences related to your Mapbox account including:
- Dashboard: See an overview of your account usage, access tokens, and plan information.
- Access tokens: Create and manage your access tokens.
- Statistics: View statistics based on your account activity.
- Invoices: View past and upcoming invoices.
- Profile: View basic profile information including your organization name, email address, and avatar.
- Change password: Manage your password.
- Security: Set up two-factor authentication for your account.
- Billing: Billing information for your account, including plan information, prepaid credit, and options to add or edit payment information and coupons.
- Connected apps: Manage the applications that have access to your Mapbox account.
Find the answers to common account and billing questions below.
How do I change my email address?
- Log in and navigate to your Account settings page.
- Enter your new email address and click Save changes.
How do I change my username?
It’s not possible to change your username. Doing so would break links to your maps and could cause unanticipated problems.
Instead, you can create a new account, transfer your assets, and update your web and mobile applications to reference the new account and maps. Once this transition is complete, you can delete the old account without breaking any links to your maps.
How do I delete my account?
You can delete your account by scrolling to the bottom of your Account settings and clicking the Delete account button.
When you delete an account, the change is effective immediately and all maps and data are removed:
- Projects and data associated with your account will no longer be available.
- You will not be able to use the account to log in to Mapbox.
- We won’t automatically prorate for unused time or map views on your current subscription. If you are changing plans in the middle of your billing cycle and need a prorated invoice, contact our support team so we can review your account.
- Deleting your account is permanent. We will not be able to recover your account if you change your mind.
How do I change my password?
- Log in and navigate to your Account settings.
- Enter your current password and new password in the appropriate fields.
- If you have two-factor authentication enabled, enter your two-factor authentication code.
- Click Save new password.
How do I reset my password?
If you’re having trouble logging in, try resetting your password by providing the email address that’s associated with your Mapbox account. We’ll send you an email with further instructions.
The link you’ll receive in your password reset email is only valid for 24 hours. If you receive an
Invalid token error message or have waited more than 24 hours, you’ll need to request another password reset email.
If you don’t remember your email address or you’re having other access problems, contact our support team and we’ll look into it.
What is two-factor authentication?
Two-factor authentication (2FA), also known as multi-factor authentication (MFA) or two-step authentication, provides an optional, but recommended, layer of security to your account. Once enabled, you’ll be prompted to enter your password as well as a security code generated on your mobile device whenever you log in.
How do I enable two-factor authentication?
When you’re logged in to your account, you can enable two-factor authentication from your Security page.
Your Security page will include a barcode which you’ll be prompted to scan with your mobile device.
Scan the generated barcode using an authenticator app on your mobile device. We recommend using Google Authenticator - it’s free and available for iOS and Android. For a Windows phone, use the Authenticator app.
Your mobile device will display a 6-digit code. Type this code into the field below the barcode to complete the process.
What if I lose my mobile device?
After you’ve set up two-factor authentication on your account, you will be redirected to a page with a recovery code.
Write down this code and keep it in a safe place. Treat your recovery code like a password to your account. If you lose your mobile device, you will need this code to log in to your account.
If you have previously set up two-factor authentication on your account and do not have a recovery code, go to your Security page to generate and retrieve your recovery code.
If you do not have your recovery code, you must have a payment method on file so we can verify your account and disable two-factor authentication. Contact our support team to get started.
How do I use a recovery code?
A recovery code is a single-use code that lets you sign in without your two-factor device. To use the code, you’ll need your username or email and your password. To use your recovery code:
- Navigate to the Sign in page.
- Enter your username and password and click Sign in.
- Click the Lost your mobile device? link below the Sign in button. A new field will appear.
- Enter your recovery code in the new field and click Sign in.
Using your recovery code will temporarily disable two-factor authentication and give you a chance to configure a new two-factor authentication device.
How are hybrid mobile apps priced?
Apps built with the Mapbox Maps SDK for iOS, Mapbox Maps SDK for Android, and Mapbox Maps SDK for React Native are billed based on monthly active users instead of map views. However, not all third-party frameworks track usage the same way.
Third-party frameworks built from the native Mapbox Mobile SDKs are typically billed based on monthly active users. Apps built with other third-party frameworks are billed based on map views.
Check out our Pricing page to see how many mobile users and map views are included in your plan.
Here are examples of SDKs and frameworks and whether Mapbox tracks usage through mobile users or map views.
|SDK or framework||mobile users||map views|
|Mapbox Maps SDK for iOS (native)||x|
|Mapbox Maps SDK for Android (native)||x|
|Mapbox Maps SDK for React Native||x|
|Mapbox Maps SDK for Unity for mobile applications||x|
|Cordova + native SDK||x|
|Xamarin + native SDK||x|
|Phonegap + Mapbox.js||x|
|Cordova + Mapbox.js||x|
|Mapbox GL JS-based hybrid SDKs||x|
See our documentation on hybrid frameworks and Mapbox for more information about building hybrid apps with Mapbox.
How are Unity apps priced?
Mobile applications built with our Maps SDK for Unity track usage with monthly active users (MAU). This means each device using your app within a month counts as a single MAU. All other apps built with Unity are charged by map views. All types of applications are metered for usage of the Mapbox APIs like Geocoding, Directions, Optimization, and Matrix when they surpass what’s included with the free plan.
How is the Mapbox Matrix API priced?
The Mapbox Matrix API is billed by elements rather than by requests, since this API handles requests of widely varying sizes. For instance, one request from the Matrix API can be many different origin and destination pairs, so one request from the Matrix API is equal to the number of sources multiplied by the number of destinations. The minimum number of elements included in a single request would be two (1 source x 2 destinations), while the maximum number of elements included in a single request would be 625 (25 sources x 25 destinations).
By default, the Mapbox Matrix API returns a symmetric matrix, using all input coordinates as both sources and destinations. In this case, the number of elements would be the number of coordinates2. You may also generate an asymmetric matrix, with only some coordinates as sources or destinations. In that case, the number of elements per request would be the number of sources multiplied by the number of destinations.
Read more about how the Mapbox Matrix API works on our comprehensive How Directions Works guide.
For high volume use of the Mapbox Matrix API, contact our sales team for pricing.
What API requests does Mapbox include in my plan?
The Pay-as-you-go plans (PAYG and Commercial) include the following calls to each API per month:
|Mapbox API||Included with each billing cycle||Additional usage costs|
|Maps API||50,000 map views||$0.50 per 1,000 requests|
|Maps SDKs for iOS, Android, React Native, and Unity||50,000 MAUs||$1 per 1,000 MAUs|
|Geocoding API, ephemeral||50,000 requests||$0.50 per 1,000 requests|
|Directions API, ephemeral||50,000 requests||$0.50 per 1,000 requests|
|Map Matching API||1,000 requests||$0.50 per 1,000 requests|
|Optimization API||1,000 requests||$0.50 per 1,000 requests|
|Mapbox Matrix API||50,000 elements||$0.50 per 1,000 elements|
These plans are designed for maximum flexibility. If you exceed the number of requests, MAUs, or elements listed above, we’ll bill the credit card you have on file on your billing date.
Questions? Contact account & billing support.
For high volume plans, Contact our sales team.
What happens if I exceed the API requests included in my plan?
If you exceed the number of API requests included in your Pay-as-you-go plan or Commercial plan, additional requests are automatically served at the rates described above.
As long as your payment information is valid, we will automatically charge the credit card on file at the end of your billing period for the services used. If you exceed the requests included in your plan and there is no valid payment information on file, you will receive an email requesting you update your credit card information or add a credit card to your account. You will be given a 10-day grace period to update or add a valid credit card before your account, maps, and any applications using your access tokens will be disabled. Your account will remain locked until you add a valid payment method. Please contact our support team with questions.
Visit our Pricing page for more information on what’s included with your plan and costs associated with overages.
What payment methods does Mapbox accept?
You can pay for your Mapbox account with the following credit, debit, prepaid, and gift cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, Discover, and Diners Club. We only accept payment by check or ACH debit for $5,988 prepayments for the Commercial plans. Mapbox Enterprise plans are invoiced through our Finance team.
If you do not have access to one of these cards, consider using a prepaid card instead. Prepaid cards are available from several vendors, including:
How can I add or update my payment information?
You can add your payment information by visit your Billing page and clicking the Add payment method button.
If you need to update your payment method, you can do so from your Billing page. Click Edit and enter your new credit card information.
Can I prepay or pay annually for my Mapbox plan?
Yes! As long as you have a valid payment method on file, you can add prepaid credit to your account at any time. Account credit will be applied to future invoices on a monthly basis. We won’t charge your primary payment method until you run out of credit.
- Navigate to your Billing page.
- Ensure you have a valid credit card on file.
- Click the Add credit button.
- Enter the amount of credit you want to purchase.
- Your credit card will be charged immediately.
- After you purchase credit, a record of the purchase will be available on your Upcoming invoice.
How will I receive bills from Mapbox?
We send you a notification via email each time we charge your credit card on file. You can view your invoices and billing history at any time by visiting your Billing page.
Where can I find my invoice?
What do I do if my credit card was declined?
Unfortunately, banks don’t usually offer us detailed information when a credit card is declined. Check to make sure your credit card is valid and up to date. If the card information seems correct, contact your bank, inquire for more information, and ask for future charges to be accepted.
How do I apply a coupon to my account?
If you’ve received a coupon code, you can use it when you sign up or upgrade your account on your Billing page after you’ve filled in your payment details. If you have any issues, contact our support team for further assistance.
Does Mapbox offer a non-profit or educational discount?
We do not offer a specific plan for non-profit or student users. Instead, our Community team provides tailored support for non-profits, educational institutions, and positive-impact organizations. If you need a discount for your positive-impact project please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I add custom information to my billing statements?
You can provide optional contact information to display on your statements.
- Log in and navigate to your invoices.
- Open any invoice that you wish to update.
- Click the Add additional info link at the top of the page under your email address.
- In the text field, enter your organization name, address, VAT number, and/or any additional information you’d like included on the invoice. Click Update additional info.
- Your additional information will now appear on your statements.
How can I change my plan?
- Log in and navigate to your Billing page.
- Click the Change plan link in the top right. A window will appear with your plan options.
You can upgrade to a Commercial plan from your Mapbox Studio account. Contact our sales team for Enterprise pricing or to learn more about our plans.
Changes to your plan, including upgrades and downgrades, are effective immediately:
- You will be charged the price of the new plan right away.
- We won’t automatically prorate for unused requests on your current subscription. If you are changing plans in the middle of your billing cycle and expect a prorated invoice, contact our support team so we can review your account.
- If you have exceeded the capacity of your current plan, we will add an overage charge to your next invoice.
Which plan does Mapbox require for commercial applications?
If your application is not accessible for free by members of the general public or tracks moving physical assets, we consider it a commercial application.
Mobile applications purchased exclusively through the Google Play or iOS App Store that do not track moving physical assets are not considered commercial.
Commercial applications require at minimum the Mapbox.com Commercial plan, which is limited to applications with up to 250 seats (unique end users) and/or up to 1,000 tracked assets (moving physical assets). If your commercial application uses the Navigation SDK or results from our Directions API for real-time turn-by-turn navigation (regardless of mode of transportation), the Mapbox Commercial plan is limited to 50 seats (drivers).
For larger numbers of seats or tracked assets, contact us about a Mapbox Enterprise plan.
What’s the difference between the Pay-as-you-go and Commercial plan?
The Pay-as-you-go and Commercial plans include the same number of requests and charge for overages above these included requests at the same rate. The Commercial plan allows you to build commercial applications with Mapbox tools.
Does Mapbox offer custom plans?
Mapbox Enterprise offers high-volume plans for map views, geocoding requests, directions services requests, large storage, extended custom maps, dedicated support, and more. It also offers custom offline solutions and access to Atlas Server. Atlas Server is the best of Mapbox running on your private infrastructure. Run it in your cloud, on your servers, behind a firewall, or completely offline.
For details on all plans, see our Pricing page.
Which plan does Mapbox require for asset tracking applications?
Asset tracking applications require a Commercial plan. A commercial asset is defined as one item that is tracked or monitored on the map via GPS or similar means. Commercial plans include up to 1,000 tracked assets and 250 commercial users, and Enterprise plans can scale to any size. Contact our sales team for Enterprise pricing.
Which plan does Mapbox require for using maps in broadcast or film?
If you are interested in using Mapbox maps in a broadcast, you must have an Enterprise account. For enterprise inquiries, contact our sales team.
How many styles does each plan allow?
All plan levels allow an unlimited number of Mapbox Studio styles.
Mapbox Studio Classic style limits are as follows:
- Pay-as-you-go: 30
- Commercial: 30
Where can I find usage information for my account?
The Statistics page contains analytics and information about your Mapbox account. This page shows statistics based on your total account activity or an individual access token. Results can be broken down by specific time frames (week, month, year, or custom date range).
For each of the following statistics, information is included on the referrers (websites using your maps), map IDs, countries, and browsers from which the requests originated. Note: You will only see the statistics for the APIs you have access to.
What kind of statistics does Mapbox track?
The following stats are available on every account:
- Mobile usage: The number of monthly active users for the current billing period.
- Web usage:
- Map views: The number of map views on the selected access token.
- Static maps: The number of requests made to the Static API on the selected access token.
- Directions: The number of requests made to the Directions API on the selected access token.
- Optimized Trips API: The number of requests made to the Optimized Trips API on the selected access token.
- Directions Matrix API: The number of requests made to the Directions Matrix API on the selected access token.
- Map Matching API: The number of requests made to the Map Matching API on the selected access token.
- Ephemeral geocodes: The number of requests made to the Geocoding API (
mapbox.placesendpoint) on the selected access token.
- Permanent geocodes: The number of requests made to the Geocoding API (
mapbox.places-permanentendpoint) on the selected access token.
- Surface API: The number of requests made to the Surface API on the selected access token.